A Brief History

originallibrary

The Old Orchard Beach Public Library is located in the Edith Belle Libby Memorial Building at the edge of the Memorial Park on Staples Street, only one block from Old Orchard Street. The present library facility opened in 1957, and was made possible, in part, by a gift in the will of Frank Libby, former Town Selectman. It was his wish that the building be named in honor of his wife, Edith Belle Libby.

Pictures from our 2014-2015 expansion can be found HERE

 

Digitized Historical Documents
Old Orchard Mirror

Digitized town reports from 1884 – present

 

Interesting local history (to view videos, click link)

Old Orchard Beach and the last voyage of Noah’s Ark

Stranded at the severed end of Old Orchard Pier

Old Orchard Beach 1960

Old Orchard Beach 1890-1906

Flying, Hazzard Shoe Company, Old Orchard Beach

Jones Air Service in the early 1930’s

OOB turn of the century